- Rules for the Thomas Medal
Rules for The Thomas MedalAt the conception of this award in 1997, the medal commemorates over 50 years involvement with IIW by the Thomas family, first by R D Thomas Sr, then by R D Thomas Jr and their promotion of international standardization in the field of welding and allied fabrication processes.
The medal is awarded to an individual who has been involved in IIW/ISO international standards activities, and requires the presentation of a lecture that illustrates the incorporation of global studies in the standardization of welding technology.
EligibilityThe candidate should demonstrate:
- A degree of personal involvement in IIW work and have contributed to international standardization in the field of welding.be recognised by his/her peers as having actively promoted international standardization over a period of time. Note: A period of 10 years would normally be considered as a minimum;
- Be willing and capable of delivering a lecture which exemplifies global studies leading to standardization of welding technology, or one that makes a significant case for international standardization;
- Be considered as an eminent person in international standardization;
- Exhibit leadership in international standardization work by demonstrating abilities to build and utilise consensus in standards development;Individuals who are currently serving on the IIW Board of Directors and/or theTMB are not eligible for nomination for the Award;
- The Award will not be granted posthumously.
The AwardThe Award is a certificate which will be presented in the Opening Ceremony of the Annual Assembly by the AWS President. The winner will present his(her) lecture at a special session of the next Autumn Meeting of the American Welding Society
Leroy Prize Process
shall be sought from Member Societies and IIW Working Units to the IIW
Secretariat. The IIW Secretariat will forward the nominations to the
Standardization Officer (IIW SO) who acts as Secretary of the Select Committee
for Standardization. The IIW SO will transmit them to the members of the Award
The Selection, and nomination of recipients to the Technical Management Board, will be made by the Select Committee for Standardization.
The Select Committee will appoint a « Thomas Medal Award Panel » comprising at least three of its members, to review and select the nominee. If a member of the Award Panel is nominated, he shall immediately withdraw from the Panel and a replacement shall be designated by the Chairman of the Select Committee.
No specific requirement
Entry to the Recognition implies the unconditional acceptance of the present rules. Complete correctly the application form detailed. Applications that simply provide the candidate’s CV will not be considered.
More information is available by contacting the IIW General Secretariat.