- Rules for the Yoshiaki Arata Award
Rules for Yoshiaki Arata AwardThe Arata Award is given to a person who has realised outstanding achievements in fundamental researches in welding science and technology, and its allied areas, and which have been recognised as a great contribution to the progress of welding engineering and related fields.
Prof. Dr. Yoshiaki Arata has devoted himself for many years to the development of ultra-high energy density heat sources and their applications to welding, cutting and other thermal materials processing. He has also played an important role in the establishment of modern Welding Engineering, Plasma Engineering and High Temperature Technology based on basic physics and materials sciences. For these contributions, he was awarded many prizes such as the Japan Academy Prize, which is the highest award in Japan, the Arthur L. Schawlow Award of the Laser Institute of America, the Goldschmidt-Clermont Prize of IIW, and so on. He is presently a member of The Japan Academy and many foreign Academies of Science.
Prof. Dr. Yoshiaki Arata was deeply committed to IIW activities for many years. He was an important member and made significant contributions to Commission IV since its establishment. He also initiated a new IIW Working Unit for Welding Research Strategy in order to enhance international collaboration and interaction. He served as the first Chairman from 1981 to 1986.
- be selected by by the members of the Board of Directors, the members of the Technical Management Board or the IIW Member Societies.
- have realised outstanding achievements in fundamental researches in welding science and technology, and its allied areas, and which have been recognised as a great contribution to the progress of welding engineering and related fields:
- individuals who are currently serving on the IIW Board of Directors are not eligible for nomination for the Award;
- the Award will not be granted posthumously.
The AwardThe Award is a medal presented at the Opening Ceremony of the Annual Assembly by the head of the Japanese delegation.
Yoshiaki Arata ProcessThe nominations are considered by a Jury composed of the members of the Technical Management Board and a Japanese representative at the intermediate meeting of the Technical Management Board.
Application RequirementsThe nominations shall be accompanied by a one or two page summary of his/her achievements in fundamental research and related published documents.
More information is available by contacting the IIW General Secretariat.